You need help…and you want it NOW. Essential contact details you may need in one, obvious place.
General emergency helplines
- 999 or 112 Emergency Services (Fire, Police, Ambulance)
- Royal Berkshire Hospital: 0118 322 7020 (Main switchboard: 0118 322 5111) Freephone 0800 7839505
- Royal Berkshire Hospital Accident & Emergency Department Overnight Crisis Service (OCS) 9pm-9am. Members of the hospital mental health team are available to provide assessment and initial counselling for anybody in a crisis. Drop in or telephone service.
- Security Office - The University of Reading: 0118 987 5123 (x 6300) or 0118 378 6300
Dentist: 9 Northcourt Avenue (behind the University Medical Practice) Telephone: +44 (0)118 975 9660Doctors’ surgeries:
Emergency helplines - despair and suicidal thinking
- The Samaritans: 116123 (free to call) Available 24/7 for the suicidal and despairing Local rate
- HOPEline/Papyrus: 0800 068 4141 email firstname.lastname@example.org text 07786209697: Confidential support and advice service for young people under the age of 35 who may be having thoughts of suicide and anyone concerned a young person may be having thoughts of suicide
- SaneLine: 0300 304 7000 - 6 - 11pm daily: leading UK mental health charity/Crisis support and general mental health support Local rate
Counselling and Wellbeing
The University of Reading Counselling Service: 0118 378 4216 or 0118 378 4218. Available to all registered students. There is a limited service provided for students who have suspended on health grounds. The service is open between 9 - 5 on weekdays.
The University Chaplains can be contacted when distressed, and not just for issues relating to religion or faith. (Check with the Chaplain about availability). In office hours 0118 378 8797 will connect you to the duty chaplain. At night, call University Security 0118 378 6300 who will make the contact for you.
The "The Mix" helpline 0808 808 4994 offers confidential helpline service for young people under 25 who need help, but don't know where to turn. Provides initial support and advice and offer phone, email, and webchat services.