If you are an undergraduate or postgraduate taught student and your course offers optional modules, you will be required to select these online each year.
This process is called module selection and usually takes place twice a year in September for new students and at the end of the Spring Term, for returning students
Spring Term module selection dates for 2018/19:
Changes to Spring and Summer Term modules can be made from 14 - 25 January 2019.
Module selection help in your Support Centre or at Henley Business School is open from:
- 14-18 January 2019: 10:00 - 16:00
- 21-25 January 2019: 10:00 - 13:00
How do I select my modules?
You can request changes to your module choices by logging in to the RISIS portal.
Where can I see what modules are offered?
You can find the list of optional modules available for your programme by looking at the module information on the RISIS portal.
- Log in to the RISIS portal
- Select 'Information' from the top menu bar
- Select 'Programme and Modules'
- Click on 'Your module selection information for 2018/19'
Undergraduate students (except part-time students):
A few weeks before module selection takes place, you can log in to the RISIS portal and use the module browser. This allows you to look at the different modules offered and make preliminary choices as well as submitting your choices when the module selection goes live.
How many credits do I need?
The numbers of credits you need each year depends on your level of study:
- Full-time undergraduate students must have a total of 120 credits.
- Full-time postgraduate taught must should have a total of 180 credits.
- Part-time students should aim to take half the full-time number of credits in each year of study.
How many credits is each module worth?
The majority of modules are worth 10 or 20 credits, although projects or dissertations may have a higher credit value. Each credit equates approximately to 10 hours of work (including all contact hours such as lectures or classes, as well as further reading and any assessments).
When choosing your modules, please make sure that you register for the right number of credits and optional modules each academic year. This means checking that you have the right number of credits for your programme (this information is available when you make your selections), as well as the compulsory modules for your programme and any required pre-requisites or co-requisites for the modules you are taking.
Exception for part-time students:
You should obtain your module options from your Programme Director and email email@example.com with your compulsory and optional module choices. If you have changes to your Spring or Summer Term modules, please make these by Friday 25 January 2019 at 13:00.
Can I change my modules after I have selected them?
You will be able to request changes to your optional modules until the Friday of the week 3 in the Autumn term at 12.30, and until the Friday of the week 2 in the Spring term at 12:30.
For more information on changing your modules, please see the module selection FAQs.
Where can I get help with choosing my modules?
There’s lots of different places which you can go for help and advice:
- Academic staff - You can speak to your Programme Director or Academic Tutor for guidance on which modules to choose.
- Support Centres - You can visit your Support Centre in person for assistance with module selection or you can get help over the phone.
- Online support - You can ask a question about module selection via Me@Reading (click the ‘Questions’ button at the top of the page to submit your query) or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org