If you are in a crisis it is best to seek immediate support, as the Counselling and Wellbeing team are not an emergency service we recommend you contact your GP or to call the NHS non-emergency number 111 for advice.
You can also contact University Security by calling 0118 378 6300 who will be able to assist you in contacting the Emergency Services if necessary.
Helplines and mental health support
- Urgent concerns about your mental health? Call the Berkshire NHS Crisis number on 0300 365 0300; they are available 24/7.
- If you are feeling suicidal or desperate to talk to someone, you can call the Samaritans for free 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 116 123.
- PAPYRUS is the national UK charity dedicated to the prevention of young suicide and offers a telephone and text service on 0800 068 4141. The service is staffed by trained mental health professional 10am – 10pm weekdays and 2 – 5pm at the weekend.
- Your doctor/GP practice. If you are registered with the University Medical practice in Northcourt Avenue, the number is: 0118 987 4551. Otherwise, please contact the doctor with whom you are registered.
- Non-urgent NHS medical help/advice: 111
If you're worried about a student
If you are concerned about someone’s welfare and think they need support, please encourage them to come in to see us. If they are living in halls, you can contact the relevant hall warden. We will always act upon concerns raise.