The University of Reading acknowledge that when students access the Disability Advisory Service (DAS) they may be anxious, stressed or experiencing symptoms related to their diagnosis or condition. DAS will take all necessary steps to support students in these circumstances.
All students and staff at The University of Reading are bound by The Reading Student Charter, which details what students can expect from the University and its staff, and what the University expects as appropriate behaviour from students.
Key expectations of students from The Reading Student Charter are:
- To be aware that their conduct affects other students and reflects on the University, and to act accordingly
- To keep appointments and to communicate with staff in a timely and courteous manner
- To treat one another with respect, tolerance and courtesy, regardless of identity, background or belief, both in person and online
- To be accountable for our actions and conduct
The Disability Advisory Service has a duty to provide a safe and secure environment for students, staff and visitors. In addition to not meeting the expectations above, examples of behaviour which are not acceptable include:
- Threatening, aggressive or abusive behaviour or language including swearing or abusive remarks (verbal or written)
- Refusing to leave the premises when requested to do so
- Threats of violence
- Aggressive reaction to the advice or information provided
Procedure during and following an incident:
- If inappropriate behaviour occurs, the individual will be given a verbal warning that the interaction will end if the behaviour continues.
- If the behaviour continues, the interaction (e.g appointment/conversation) will end immediately and will not be resumed until appropriate behaviour can be demonstrated.
- The immediate manager will be called upon and will advise the person that their behaviour is unacceptable and explain the expected standards of behaviour, which must be observed in the future.
- In cases of serious or repeated inappropriate behaviour, the manager may report to the School Director of Teaching and Learning and/or the School Senior Tutor who may take appropriate disciplinary action, as detailed in the Regulations for acceptable behaviour in the Student Handbook.
If necessary, University Security will be called upon to assist the individual to vacate the premises.