All new first year undergraduate students are automatically partnered with a STaR Mentor before they arrive at Reading.
• prepare new students for what to expect and share their own experiences of starting University.
• answer questions and point new students in the direction of helpful University services.
• show new students around their department and/or the campus.
• recommend places of interest in Reading and/or the surrounding area.
• promote tips on achieving a positive work/ life balance.
• help new students make sense of University processes and adjust to new academic learning styles.
• connect new students with clubs, societies and volunteering opportunities.
• link new students to finding part time work and careers advice.
Benefits for new students include:
• reducing general nerves and worries about starting University
• answering questions about student life and University processes
• preparing them for what to expect from the course and department
• accessing ‘top tips’ for successful study
• feeling supported by another student and welcomed by the department and university community
It is not recommended, but new students can opt of having a STaR Mentor by emailing email@example.com
STaR International Mentors are current international undergraduate or postgraduate students. They can answer questions about what it is like living and studying in the UK.
New postgraduate students can apply to be partnered with a STaR International Mentor before arriving at Reading. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
For any questions about the STaR Mentor partnership, please contact Chantelle Turner on +44(0) 118 378 6593