BY careers 27 March 2017
You can opt for a professional placement year or one shorter in length and you can chose to stay local, within the UK or internationally if you are feeling adventurous.
Over 2,500 Reading students undertake a placement as a credit bearing part of their course every year and they are supported at every stage.
What support will I receive?
- A designated placement coordinator to help with all aspects of the placement journey from start to finish.
- Access to careers advice, guidance and information to help you explore all options for your placement.
- A placement training programme to ensure you are fully equipped to secure a placement and prepare you for the experience
- Regular opportunities to meet future placement providers at our careers and placement fairs and employer events
- Access to your placement portal MyJobsOnline all positions are paid, but we can support your choice with a range of placement funds and bursaries to help with costs if you opt for a voluntary positions.
We work with a huge range of placement providers actively seeking out Reading students, from the best known global recruiters and organisations, Times Top 100 employers, smaller to medium companies, voluntary groups, charities and social enterprises – the world is your oyster!
Every student who returns from a placement is glad they did one, not only because it adds to their professional portfolio but also because they’ve developed personal skills and attributes helping them feel more confident and equipped for life after University.
What are the benefits?
Year placements provide the opportunity to:
- Develop skills including team working, presentation, project management, negotiation and organisational skills.
- Work in and learn about a profession or a sector, implementing roles with real responsibility and challenges.
- Gain a better idea about occupations by learning more about what you enjoy.
- Increase your chances of successful employment after University by gaining the skills graduate employers are looking for.
- Gain an additional qualification.